The following summary of planned new and ongoing road improvements over the coming week is correct as of 24 April 2015 but could be subject to change due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances. All our improvement work is carried out with the aim of causing as little disruption as possible.
Media wanting information about Highways England’s routine maintenance projects should, in the first instance, check Highways England’s website.
M1 junction 19 at Catthorpe, Leicestershire: Major improvement works
On Monday 27 April there will be a full closure of M1 junction 19 from 9pm to 6am Tuesday 28 April.
M1 junction 24/A50 Approach Economy Scheme
Work to improve the capacity and traffic flows at M1 Junction 24 is nearing completion. There will continue to be traffic management in place around the junction and its approaches at night times. Full closures requiring diversions are listed below.
Customers travelling to and from East Midlands Airport should allow extra time for their journeys during this work, particularly if they have a flight to catch. For real time traffic information visit Highways England’s website.
During the overnight closures of the northbound exit slip road at M1 junction 24, traffic for East Midlands Airport and the A50 Stoke (A6 Derby) should use M1 junction 23A, while traffic for Nottingham should use M1 junction 25 and the A52.
M1 Junction 24
From Monday 27 April to Friday 1 May the northbound exit slip road will be closed from 8pm to 6am each night.
M1 junction 18 to 20 (Catthorpe), Leicestershire: Junction improvements
Up until November 2017, there will be a 50mph limit on the southbound carriageway, with overnight carriageway closures either north or southbound between 9pm and 6am. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
M1 junction 28 to 31 and 32 to 35a, Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire/Yorkshire: Smart Motorway
Until winter 2016 there will be various restrictions in place on the M1 between junctions 28 and 35a to allow for the construction of the Smart Motorway. These include lane closures, speed restrictions, hard shoulder running and overnight slip road or carriageway closures. This week the following full closures will be in place:
- Monday 27 April, the southbound carriageway exit at junction 31 will be closed between 8pm and 6am
- Tuesday 28 April, the southbound up and over at junction 30 will be closed from 8pm to 6am
- Thursday 30 April, the entry slip road at junction 31 southbound will be closed 8pm to 6am. The southbound entry slip at junction 29 will also be closed during this period.
- Friday 1 May, the entry slip at junction 29 southbound will be closed 8pm to 6am.
- Saturday 2 May, both the southbound exit and entry slip roads at junction 31 will be closed between 8pm and 6am.
M45 Dunchurch to M1 junction 17, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repairs
From 9 February to 6 May there will be a number of restrictions on the eastbound carriageway including overnight carriageway closures from 8pm to 6am, or 24/7 closures of the hard shoulder and lane one with a 50mph speed limit. During full closures, traffic will be diverted via the A45 to Daventry and Weedon to join the M1 at J16.
A1 Beacon Hill Road, Coddington, Nottinghamshire: Construction
From 10 March to 11 June there will be a 24/7 exit slip road closure northbound.
Hammonds Road roundabout to A5 Longshoot junction (A47), Leicestershire: Junction improvements
From Monday 27 April to Friday 1 May there will be a northbound carriageway closure each night from 8pm to 6am.
A5 Crick to Magna Park, Leicestershire/Northamptonshire/Warwickshire: Diversion route
From 14 to 28 April, there will be a diversion route northbound and southbound between 9pm to 6am due to works being undertaken at junction 19 (M1).
A14 junction 7 to 9, Northamptonshire: Widening
- Monday 27 April at 8pm until Tuesday 28 April at 6am, and again between 8pm on 28 April and 6am on 29 April, there will be a full closure of the eastbound carriageway between junction 7 and 9, to allow the removal of traffic management.
- Wednesday 29 April at 8pm until Thursday 30 April at 6am, and again from 8pm on 30 April to 6am on 1 May, there will be a full closure of the westbound carriageway between junction 9 and junction 7 for the removal of traffic management.
A453 widening from M1 junction 24 to A52: Major improvement work
- Monday 27 April to Friday 1 May the A453 westbound from to Silverdale roundabout Farnborough Road junction will be closed from 8pm to 5:30am each night;
- Friday 1 May the A453 eastbound from Farnborough Road junction to Silverdale roundabout will be closed from 9pm to 5.30am
- Monday 27 April the A453 Farnborough Road to Nottingham Trent University North - westbound carriageway closed from 8pm to 5.30am
A38 Allestree to Little Eaton, Derbyshire: Road marking
The northbound carriageway will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am up until 30 April. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
A38 Markeaton to Findern, Derby City: Carriageway repairs
The A516 southbound carriageway from the City Hospital will be closed overnight between 8pm and 5am on 28 April, 29 April and 30 April.
A43 Padbury roundabout to Barley Mow Roundabout, Northamptonshire: Carriageway resurfacing
The carriageway will be closed in both directions overnight between 7.30pm and 6am up until 9 May. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
A45 Skew Bridge to Little Irchester, Northamptonshire: Carriageway repairs
The southbound carriageway will be closed overnight between 8pm and 6am until 12 May. Diversions will be clearly signposted.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.