News story

Paris Terrorist attacks - applying for compensation

How to apply for compensation if you were a victim of the terrorist attacks in Paris on 13 November 2015.


Applications can be made to the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA), under the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme 2012 (VOTCS), by those victims injured, or the families of those killed, in the attacks.

If you have been bereaved or suffered a personal injury as a result of this incident you can find out more about the Scheme and how to apply on GOV.UK. Alternatively, you can call the CICA helpline on 0300 003 3601.

A French Compensation Scheme, the Fonds de Garantie, also exists and has procedures to ensure prompt compensation to the victims of the attacks. You can find out more information about the French Scheme on the Foreign and Commonwealth GOV.UK page - Terrorist attacks in Paris – support for people affected.

CICA may defer your application until all reasonable steps to obtain compensation from the French Scheme have been taken. However, you should still apply under the Victims of Overseas Terrorism Compensation Scheme 2012 as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event within two years of the incident. People who are eligible under the UK Scheme may receive a payment if they do not get compensation from the French Scheme, or if they receive less than they would have been entitled to under the UK Scheme.

You do not need a paid representative, such as a solicitor or claims management company, to apply to CICA for compensation. Free independent advice may be available from local support services or other charitable organisations. You can find out more about this within our Guide to applying to the Scheme on GOV.UK .

Published 5 February 2016