Overnight northbound M6 closures at Broughton this weekend for bridge repairs
Wear and tear repairs to a motorway bridge which helps carry the M6 through Lancashire will be taking place at the weekend.
The bridge, which carries the motorway over Whittingham Lane near Broughton north of junction 32 of the motorway, needs to be re-waterproofed and that will be done this weekend in a £70,000 Highways England project focusing on the northbound carriageway.
Highways England project manager Mark Mosley said:
These repairs will tackle recurring issues with potholes and, as well as extending the life of the bridge, will help give drivers safer, smoother motorway journeys.
The work – between Friday (24 July) and Monday (27 July) will be delivered in 5 phases over the weekend including:
- full closure of the northbound M6 between 10pm on Friday night and 6am on Saturday morning 25 (July) with traffic being diverted off the northbound M6 at junction 32 and sent along the westbound M55 to junction 1 where they can use the northbound A6 to re-join the northbound M6 at junction 33 at Galgate.
- temporary closure of the northbound hard shoulder and lane 1 with a 50mph speed limit throughout the day on Saturday
- extension to the Saturday daytime closure to include lane 2 between 10pm on Saturday night and 6am on Sunday morning (26 July) with only lane 3 open to traffic overnight.
- re-opening lane 2 during the day on Sunday with the hard shoulder and lane 1 closures remaining in place throughout the day.
- final phase of work with a second full closure of the northbound carriageway between junction 32 and junction 33 from 10pm on Sunday night until 6am on Monday morning (27 July) – again with a diversion in place via the M55 and A6.
Members of the public should contact the Highways England customer contact centre on 0300 123 5000.
Journalists should contact the Highways England press office on 0844 693 1448 and use the menu to speak to the most appropriate press officer.