This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
Lord Mayor visiting Thailand to further deepen bilateral relations.
The Right Honourable the Lord Mayor of London, Alderman Alan Yarrow, will visit Thailand from the 18th to 20th February to strengthen the City of London’s relationship with an important regional partner.
The Lord Mayor of London is a role which has existed for over 800 years, and today the Lord Mayor’s primary function is to act as an ambassador for the City of London and its financial and professional services industry. He will be accompanied by a delegation of British business leaders keen to engage in the region to help facilitate the development of stronger economic ties.
During his visit the Lord Mayor will meet a number of senior figures, including:
- Deputy Prime Minister Yongyuth Yuthavong
- Finance Minister Sommai Phasee
- Governor of The Bank of Thailand
- Chairman and President of the Stock Exchange of Thailand
- Deputy Secretary-General of the Securities and Exchange Commission
- senior representatives from the Thai Board of Trade and Thai Chamber of Commerce
He will also speak at an Ethics and Integrity workshop run by the Chartered Institute of Securities and Investment, which he chairs. The Lord Mayor will also participate in a roundtable discussion with the insurance regulator, the OIC, to explore opportunities to deepen UK-Thai capacity building in the insurance sector. He will also celebrate The Royal Mint’s milestone agreement with the Royal Thai Treasury and mark Prudential’s 20th anniversary in Thailand. He will also meet members of the local and international business community, and brief the local media.
Speaking ahead of his visit, the Lord Mayor said:
South East Asia is an important market for UK businesses and the City is keen to develop a deeper partnership with Thailand as a key regional player. I hope this visit will be instrumental in developing stronger bilateral ties which will enable us to tackle the challenges, seize the opportunities, and work towards a mutually prosperous future.
The City is here for the long haul; our commitment is strong and we hope to see more UK businesses working with Thailand to facilitate growth by introducing efficient products, services and global expertise, enhancing economic growth and supporting the creation of jobs and growth.
Bella Longman, Media Officer, City of London Corporation
Tel: 020 7332 1906 / Mobile: 07809 334 327
About the City of London Corporation
The City of London Corporation provides local government and policing services for the financial and commercial heart of Britain, the ‘Square Mile’. In addition, the City Corporation has 3 roles:
(1) we support London’s communities by working in partnership with neighbouring boroughs on economic regeneration, education and skills projects. In addition, the City of London Corporation’s charity City Bridge Trust makes grants of more than £15 million annually to charitable projects across London and we also support education with three independent schools, three City Academies, a primary school and the world-renowned Guildhall School of Music and Drama.
(2) We also help look after key London heritage and green spaces including Tower Bridge, Museum of London, Barbican Arts Centre, City gardens, Hampstead Heath, Epping Forest, Burnham Beeches, and important ‘commons’ in south London.
(3) And we also support and promote the ‘City’ as a world-leading financial and business hub, with outward and inward business delegations, high-profile civic events, research-driven policies all reflecting a long-term approach. See www.cityoflondon.gov.uk for more details.