Leicester-based transport firm fined
Magistrates fine Ausden Clark £5,600 and ordered it to pay costs of £15,000.
Leicester-based Public Service Vehicle (PSV) company Ausden Clark Ltd were fined £5,600 and ordered to pay costs of £15,000 at Leicester Magistrates Court on Tuesday 9 October 2012 following a VOSA investigation.
The company pleaded guilty to 18 offences - 2 of using a vehicle when the driver had failed to take sufficient daily rest and 16 offences of using a vehicle when the driver had failed to keep a record.
The transport manager for Ausden Clark Ltd, Leslie Watts, was prosecuted for 16 offences which included permitting failing to take sufficient daily rest and failing to make a relevant record or entry.
14 drivers also pleaded guilty to drivers’ hours offences. These included making false records, failing to make a relevant record or entry and insufficient daily rest in a 24-hour period.
VOSA Operations Director Heather Cruickshank said:
Operators and drivers should be in no doubt that if they choose to work outside the law there will be serious consequences as this case highlights.
VOSA’s number one priority is road safety and investigators will always seek to prosecute those who risk the lives of other road users through arrogance and ignoring the rules.
Notes to editors
VOSA is responsible for:
- processing applications for licences to operate lorries and buses and registering bus services
- operating and administering testing schemes for all vehicles, including the supervision of the MOT testing scheme
- enforcing the law on vehicles to ensure that they comply with legal standards and regulations
- enforcing drivers’ hours and licensing requirements
- supporting Traffic Commissioners to help them make informed decisions on operator licensing, vocational drivers and bus registration requirements
- providing training and advice for commercial operators
- investigating vehicle accidents, defects and recalls
VOSA media enquiries
Press enquiries 0117 954 2561 / 3208
You should contact our press office if you have a media query or you’re a journalist.