The Human Rights and Democracy Programme (HRDP) is the UK’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office’s (FCO) global fund supporting human rights and democracy work overseas. The Programme aims to make a difference to people’s lives, helping to build the capacity of governments and civil society to promote and protect human rights.
We are pleased to invite project concepts for 2015-16 funding for the following thematic areas:
- torture prevention
- abolition of the death penalty
- promotion and protection of freedom of expression
- upholding freedom of religion or belief
- promoting women’s rights
- business and human rights
- strengthening democratic processes
- preventing sexual violence in conflict
Who may bid:
In order to be eligible, your organisation or agency must be a non-profit legal entity or a registered non-governmental organisation, and must demonstrate that it has:
- Experience in project management
- Previous experience working with international agencies / organisations - preferably
- Proof of NGO registration and profile
- Sufficient technical, financial, human and logistical capacity
Concept bids will be assessed by the local Programme Board. Successful bidders will be invited to submit a full project proposal by December 31, 2014 with further instructions. Please assume that your concept bid has been unsuccessful if you do not hear back from us by December 31, 2014.
We will fund projects up to a value of £200,000. However, it is recommended to apply within the range of £10,000 - £80,000.
We welcome projects jointly funded with other donors as a way of increasing impact and enhancing co-ordination. All projects must demonstrate how they complement the efforts of other donors and bring added value. We strongly encourage projects that seek to secure future funding from other bodies (e.g. EU, UN) for follow-on work.
Projects should begin at any time from 1 April 2015 and must be completed by the end of February 2016.
We Cannot Fund:
- Capital purchases, e.g. purchase of buildings, vehicles, office machinery
- Flight costs above economy class
- External consultants to evaluate project work
- Participation in academic courses or academic research
- We fund various costs associated with implementation/delivery of activities, but we cannot fund all general office costs and salaries. These can only be covered up to 10% of the total cost of the project. Note that honoraria for experts should be included into an activity where an expert is contributing.
Project concepts must be submitted electronically to email@example.com indicating “HRDP Concept Bid” in the subject field. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org in inquiries.
Monday 1 December, 6pm Astana time.