The event will include presentations by expert practitioners and academics; workshops aiming to explore key design principles using evidence from real projects; and opportunities to network with an audience of registered providers and affordable housing developers.
Evidence from Quality Counts – the HCA’s annual survey of affordable housing residents – highlights the importance of high quality outdoor space; for recreation, drying clothes, parking bikes, or simply to provide an attractive environment. Moreover, there is evidence to suggest that the design of outdoor space can also have a big impact on people’s health and happiness – through encouraging social interaction, promoting healthier modes of transport, supporting mental wellbeing and improving environmental quality.
This workshop will explore these issues and delegates will join us in proposing some overarching principles to consider in the design and provision of external space for homes.
The event will cover:
principles for the design of external space and evidence for their impact
how design and layout of spaces can influence community social life
lessons from practice - what we can learn from existing examples?
delivery considerations and solutions
- Noel Farrer – President of the Landscape Institute
- Prof. Matthew Carmona – Professor of Planning and Urban Design, The Bartlett School of Planning at UCL
- Bob Allies – Founding Partner, Allies and Morrison
- Dr. Elanor Warwick - Head of Strategic Research, Affinity Sutton
- Helen Forman – Design Manager, HCA
- Dinah Bornat – Senior Lecturer, University of East London and founding co-director, ZCD Architects
- Nicola Bacon – Founding Director, Social LIfe
- David Rudlin – Director, URBED
- Glyn Tully – Head of Landscape & Urban Design, Levitt Bernstein
- Scott Adams – Head of Urbsnism, HTA
This event is aimed at professionals involved in the commissioning, development and delivery of new affordable housing developments, including:
registered providers (directors and managers responsible for design, development and asset management)
technical specialists (architects, urban designers, house builders and contractors)
local housing authorities (particularly stock owning authorities with new-build programmes; housing, design and sustainability functions)
Noel Farrer: Opening address - Why design matters
Prof. Matthew Carmona: Positive space, not wasted space
Bob Allies: Key principles of design for external space
Dr. Elanor Warwick: Separating fads from fundamentals: resident’s views on outside space
Helen Forman: How street layout and design can affect social interaction
Dinah Bornat: Housing design and community life
Nicola Bacon: Shared outdoor spaces – what works?
David Rudlin; Space to park
Glyn Tully and Scott Adams: Best practice review and external space design
Glyn Tully and Scott Adams: Design of affordable, efficient and successful external spaces