Foreign Secretary and Special Envoy close Global Summit
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The Foreign Secretary William Hague and Special Envoy of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees Angelina Jolie have closed the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict.
Closing the Summit the Foreign Secretary said:
Never in my time as Foreign Secretary so far, on any foreign policy issue, have I seen such an extraordinary and inspiring gathering as we have had over the last few days. So many people have worked so hard for so many years on this issue and it has always seemed that the odds were totally against them.
But it turns out from this Summit that we can bring together a whole army from around the globe – an army of people of all ages, from all walks of life, spanning every religion and every conceivable cultural difference, from artists to legal experts and doctors, all united with the common vision of ending warzone rape and sexual violence and now it has been put together this army is not going to be disbanded.
The Special Envoy said:
There is no doubt, after these four days, that we know what to do:
We need to entrench the international protocol, so that we begin to deter these crimes and end impunity.
We need to put survivors in the forefront of our efforts – not as victims, but as inspiring and resilient people who can guide us to the right choices and decisions.
We need to pool our expertise and close the gaps in our laws and capabilities.
- follow on Twitter and via the hashtag #TimeToAct.
- read our live blog from the summit.
- follow our Facebook page.
- see images from the Summit on Flickr to see the latest images from the Summit.
- follow the Foreign Secretary on twitter @WilliamJHague
- follow Foreign Office Minister Baroness Warsi on Twitter @SayeedaWarsi
- follow Foreign Office Minister Hugh Robertson on Twitter @HughRobertsonMP
- follow Foreign Office Minister Mark Simmonds on Twitter @MarkJSimmonds
- follow the Foreign Office on Twitter @foreignoffice