World news story

Football supporters' advice for Red Bull Salzburg vs Celtic FC

Consular advice for football fans travelling to Austria for the UEFA Europe League match between Red Bull Salzburg and Celtic FC

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

Kicking a football

This information is prepared by the British Embassy Vienna for football fans travelling to Austria for the UEFA Europe League pool-match between Red Bull Salzburg and Celtic FC on Thursday 18 September 2014. It is intended as a guide for fans who find themselves needing assistance following theft/loss of property during their visit to Austria.

As well as this advice, check out our travel advice for Austria

Passports, visas, insurance

  • Before you travel YOU should ensure that you take out adequate travel insurance and also bring your EHIC with you

  • It is necessary to carry ID with you at all times

  • You don’t need a visa to travel to Austria, but your passport should be valid for the duration of your trip

‘Reporting Lost / Stolen Property in Austria

If you have had your passport, wallet or other property stolen or if you suspect you have had them stolen, then you should report the theft to the nearest police station. Contact details for the Salzburg City Police Headquarters are:

Hinterholzerkai 4
A-5020 Salzburg

Tel: +43-59 133-55 /0*

Theft of property should be reported in person to the Austrian police within 24 hours to obtain a Police Report/Crime Number. You may need this for insurance purposes.

Mislaid or lost passports or property will have to be reported to the nearest Lost Property Office (part of the Salzburg municipal administration/Magistrat Salzburg). For directions please contact the nearest police station. The central lost property office in Salzburg is located at:

Mirabellpatz 4
A-5020 Salzburg

Lost & Found Hotline: +43-662 8072 3580


Applying for Emergency Travel Document

An Emergency Travel Document (ETD) will enable any eligible British National whose full validity British passport has been lost/stolen/severely damaged to return to the UK (or his present country of residence). In order to apply for an Emergency Travel Document you will need to a visit either the British Consulate-General in Munich (Möhlstraße 5, D-81675 Munich; please call for an appointment on +49-89-21109/0) or the Consular Section of the British Embassy in Vienna (please call for an appointment on +43-1-71613/0 using the option for ‘Consular Services’; the Vienna Embassy is about a 15/20 minute walk from Vienna city centre, nearest public transport stops: ‘Rennweg’ S-Bahn station or ‘Stadtpark’ U4 underground stop).

You should bring with you:

  • A passport photograph (preferably taken on a white background)

  • A police report (if your passport has been stolen) or lost property report (if your passport has been lost)

  • A copy of your travel itinerary

  • Any other form of photo ID you are (still) holding

Further useful information and a downloadable ETD application form are available from the following UK government website. The fee for an ETD is €124 payable by a Visa/MasterCard credit card or in cash.

Please be aware that the Embassy is not in the position to issue regular passports.

What to do if you have no money left

If you have spent all your cash or you are unable to get money from your credit card or have had your wallet stolen, you can obtain money through a Western Union transfer.

To do this you will need to:

  • Give your friend/relative the Western Union details ( or their 24/7 telephone number: 0800 833 833.

  • Your friend / relative will need to contact Western Union and arrange to transfer money to you. Western Union take a fee for this service. The money transfer is instant and you will be able to collect the money a few minutes after the transfer has been confirmed by your friend/relative

  • In order to collect the money you will need to have ID. If you do not have a valid passport or other identity document with you, then ask your friend/relative to send the money in the name of somebody that is travelling with you and has ID

  • Please make sure that your friend/relative gives you the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN), which is necessary to collect your money

  • If you are in Vienna on your own and have no means of identification at all, or friends/family members who could do the money transfer for you - you should contact the British Embassy for assistance in collecting your money

Western Union services are available in offices or outlets around Salzburg (e.g. at every Austrian Post Office, these are closed at weekends) – for details/outlets please check the relevant Western Union webpage.

Emergency services numbers

  • European Emergency Number - 112

  • Ambulance and Fire – 122

  • Police - 133

  • Ambulance - 144

Public transport

On match days, a free of charge Shuttle Transport is offered between “Ferdinand Hanuschplatz” in the City Centre (see map below) and “Klessheimer-Allee”/Stadium East Entrance (see 2nd map).

Map of Salzburg, Austria
Map of Salzburg, Austria

In addition there is a shuttle transport offered, going to the “Messezentrum”/Exhibition Centre or the Designer Outlet Parndorf near Salzburg Airport. FC Red Bull Salzburg recommends the use of public transport.

Out of hours Consular assistance

In the event of an extreme emergency out of hours please call the general Embassy number +43 1 71613 0*. You will be given further dialling instructions on how to speak to a Consular officer.

Follow us on Twitter @UKinAustria

Published 10 September 2014