News story

Coronavirus - Temporary changes to how we process fishing vessel licence applications

Information on the changes to how the Marine Management Organisation (MMO) delivers fishing vessel licence applications during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Moored fishing boat with crab and lobster pots

Moored fishing boat with crab and lobster pots

In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak we are following the Government’s advice on social distancing, with most Marine Management Organisation (MMO) colleagues now working remotely.

The health and wellbeing of our stakeholders, customers, partners and of course our MMO colleagues is our priority in these exceptional times. As a result of this we are changing the way we deliver our services including how we handle fishing vessel licensing applications.

The following guidance sets out the temporary changes to existing processes to ensure we continue to deliver a timely service in a safe way.

How to apply for your fishing vessel licence

Step one

Simply email your local admin office and let them know you want to apply for a Fishing Vessel Licence.

Step two

Your query will be picked up by our local FVL Admin Officers. The Admin Officer will then make contact with you by email, or by telephone if required.

Step three

You will be directed to or sent a form to complete via email (if there is more than one applicant, we will ask the initial contact for their details and we will then contact them to confirm they wish to proceed).

Step four

During this process we will ask for Photo ID, either a driving licence or passport. We will request further checks, if necessary. We will also require an electronic signature – the Admin Officer will advise how to do this.

Step five

Once the form is signed, checked and processed, it will be sent to the countersigning officer. Once everything is agreed a temporary electronic licence will be emailed out to the applicant.

Step six

Once operations are fully back to normal, the team will issue a full paper licence to replace the temporary electronic licence.

If you require support and further advice you can contact your local MMO office. Details are available at the following link:

Published 3 April 2020