World news story

Chinese Government announce new immigration laws

New visa regulations for foreigners visiting and living in China, under new Chinese immigrations laws to be enforced on 1 July.

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

The Chinese Government's new immigration law comes into force on 1 July.

The Chinese Government's new immigration law comes into force on 1 July.

The Chinese Government’s new immigration law will come into force on 1 July 2013, with new visa rules for foreign nationals visiting or living in China.

The details though not yet finalised, indicate that as of 1 July, anyone wishing to stay in China more than 180 days will need a residence permit. Visit ( tourist) visas will only be extended once by a maximum of 30 days. In addition there will be the introduction of several new categories of visa including R visas - for highly skilled specialists. Work visas - Z visas - will be divided into Z1 (over 90 days) and Z2 (under ninety days), with Z1 visa holders likely to need a residence permit also. Rules for F visas (current category for business visits) may also change, with business/commercial visitors required to apply for a new “M” visa category - however please note that details of the difference between F and M types have not yet been finalised. More detailed information will be distributed once available. The new draft visa categories are as follows:

  • F - non-commercial visit
  • L - tourism
  • G - transit visa
  • Z1 - work in China over 90 days
  • Z2 - work in China less than 90 days
  • X1 - long term study
  • X2 - short term study
  • M - commercial or trade activity
  • Q1 - family reunion
  • Q2 - short visit visa
  • R1 - highly skilled specialists
  • R2 - Highly skilled specialists (less than 180 days)
Published 27 May 2013