World news story

Change to British passport services in China

We are making important changes to the way we deliver British passports.

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

Change to British passport services in China

Change to British passport services in China

From 26 March 2014, you should submit your application, in person by appointment only, to the UK Visa Application Centres in Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou and Shanghai. Your application will then be sent on to Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK for processing. All the information needed to complete the passport application process, including address and contact details for the UK Visa Application Centres, are available on the GOV.UK website. Customers in Hong Kong and Macao should continue to submit their applications directly to Her Majesty’s Passport Office.

If you cannot find the information you need on the GOV.UK website, please contact the Passport Advice line on +44 300 222 0000 (operates from 8am-8pm UK time) or e-mail:

You should avoid leaving applying for your passport until the last minute. You can apply to renew your passport at any time. Any remaining validity up to nine months will be transferred from your old passport to your new one.

You should not book travel until you have received your new passport. The British Government cannot accept responsibility for costs incurred if travel is booked and subsequently cancelled before the passport has been received. Information on processing times can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Your passport and supporting documents will be delivered to the UK Visa Application Centre - you must collect them in person. They will contact you - using the details in your application form - when your passport and documents are ready to collect. You must bring photo ID with you.

Nationality enquiries

The Home Office is the lead government department on nationality matters. If you have an enquiry about eligibility for British citizenship or nationality, information can be found here.

Urgent travel

If you need to travel urgently but your normal passport is not available, you should contact the nearest Consular Assistance team in Beijing, Chongqing, Guangzhou or Shanghai. In certain circumstances our staff may be able to issue an Emergency Travel Document but this is not a substitute for a full UK passport.

Published 26 March 2014