Mrs Susan Jane le Jeune d’Allegeershecque CMG has been appointed Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Austria and the United Kingdom Permanent Representative to the United Nations.
Mrs le Jeune d’Allegeershecque will succeed Mr Simon Smith who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment. Mrs le Jeune d’Allegeershecque will take up her appointment during August 2012.
Mrs le Jeune d’Allegeershecque joined the FCO in 1985 and has served in Europe, South East Asia and Latin America. She began her career working on nuclear non-proliferation, an issue which will form an important part of her UN portfolio in Vienna. Most recently, she has been the FCO’s Director for Human Resources, and a member of the FCO’s management board.
On her appointment as Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Austria and the United Kingdom Permanent Representative to the United Nations and other International Organisations in Vienna, Mrs le Jeune d’Allegeershecque has said “Britain and Austria work well together across the whole range of European and global issues facing us today. We share political and economic objectives and I am pleased that I will be working with Austria to take forward the broad agenda where we share interests. I am delighted to be returning to a European posting, and looking forward to discovering with my family the beauty of the Austrian countryside and making the most of Vienna’s rich cultural life.
Vienna is of course not just at the heart of Europe, it’s also a major centre of international diplomacy, and I am excited to be taking on an important multilateral mission too. The British Mission to Vienna’s UN and international organisations plays a central role in many foreign policy priorities. I hope to make a strong contribution to Britain’s work on these important themes.”
- Full name: Susan Jane le Jeune d’Allegeershecque
- Married to: Stephane Herve Marie le Jeune d’Allegeershecque
- Children: Pierre (b.1993), Julien (b.1995)
- Sept 07 - present: FCO, Director, Human Resources
- 2005 - 2007: Washington, Counsellor (Change Management) and Consul General
- 2002 - 2005: Bogota, Deputy Head of Mission
- 1999 - 2002: Caracas, Deputy Head of Mission
- 1996 - 1999: FCO, Head PMU2, Personnel Directorate
- 1992 - 1995: Singapore, Second Secretary, Press/Economic
- 1990 - 1992: FCO, Second Secretary, Soviet Dept (Desk Officer for the Baltic States)
- 1987 - 1989: UKRep Brussels, Third, then Second Secretary Chancery (PS/Perm Rep)
- 1985 - 1987: FCO, Desk officer, Nuclear Energy Department