We are no longer accepting applications for this vacancy.
Are you an experienced security professional with a strong track record, a flexible approach, knowledge of Portuguese and the wish to join an organisation with a highly respected worldwide reputation? If so, the British Embassy network in Portugal is looking for a Post Security Manager, who will lead on day-to-day security matters, based at the Embassy in Lisbon.
You will work closely with all other Embassy teams, the Deputy Head of Mission, a Regional Overseas Security Manager and the Security Department of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) in London as well as Portuguese security authorities.
- demonstrable operational security experience, preferably in a security management role.
- proven customer focus with an emphasis on delivery of outcomes.
- excellent communication skills, with fluent oral and written English and, ideally, a working knowledge of Portuguese.
- IT literate (Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, PowerPoint, Word).
- ability to work both under minimal supervision and as part of a team
- ability to multi-task and work under pressure to tight deadlines
- capacity to deal patiently and effectively with a wide range of situations
- good interpersonal, organisational and line management skills
- driving licence
- experience of crisis management
- security training experience
- knowledge of UK Health and Safety policies
- day-to-day management of the security of the Embassy and the Ambassador’s Residence (includes liaison with emergency services, security authorities, building owners and other embassies);
- management of the security guarding contract for the British Embassy by ensuring that the performance standards of the contract are maintained;
- management of the 4-person Embassy’s Transport and Office Support team;
- provision of guard force training;
- management and maintenance of security equipment;
- provision of security briefings to staff;
- assistance with the security clearance process for all new staff to the appropriate level;
- review and revision of security procedures;
- contribution to the Embassy Health & Safety responsibilities;
- contribution to the Embassy crisis response and business continuity plans
35 hours (net) per week starting daily at 8am with occasional requirements to work earlier or later.
30.716 Euros gross/year plus monthly 134 euros meal allowance.
The successful candidate will be enrolled in the Portuguese Social Security Scheme and will not therefore be entitled to any gratuity from the Embassy/Consulate based on gross annual salary.
The Embassy is a Diplomatic Mission with exempt status and does not collect taxes for other states. Employees are totally responsible for payment of income tax.
Fixed term one-year contract subject to satisfactory references and security clearance. There will be a probation period of 30 days.
Please send a detailed CV and a covering letter to email@example.com with the subject header PSMPT13 to arrive no later than Wednesday 5 June 2013.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview in Lisbon on 11 June. Please note that the Embassy cannot cover any costs incurred if you are invited for an interview. Those applicants who have not been contacted by 7 June 2013 should assume their applications have been unsuccessful.
For further information on the work of the British embassy please see our country page on GOV.UK.