This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
The International Festival of Business in Liverpool will host business leaders and government ministers reviewing UK manufacturing.
The Summit will:
- highlight progress in implementing the government’s industrial strategy and progress with issues raised at last year’s Summit
- demonstrate government’s ongoing support and commitment to manufacturing industry in the UK
- engage senior business leaders from across the full range of manufacturing sectors in discussing future challenges
Manufacturing is of vital importance to the UK: it is responsible for 52% of exports and over 2.6 million jobs – 8% of the total UK workforce. It accounts for 72% of all business expenditure on research and development – £12.2 billion in cash terms.
The government is strengthening the UK’s manufacturing capability by encouraging businesses to innovate and invest in new technologies, as well as increasing exports, improving skills and building supply chains.
An exhibition of north-west manufacturing excellence will run throughout the day alongside discussion sessions that will examine:
- inspiring young people, particularly women, into the sector
- energy and resource efficiency
- supply chains
The GREAT business campaign has a wealth of information for employers about hiring apprentices, and about the government support available. There are also some terrific manufacturing case studies on the GREAT business website demonstrating the vital role that apprenticeships play in the UK economy.