World news story

Avoid passport delays by sending original documents

Avoid delays to your UK passport application by submitting the original versions of supporting documents.


A recent analysis by HM Passport Office showed almost half of the passport applications from Australia were delayed because certified copies had been sent instead of the original documents.

Photocopies, or copies certified by a Justice of the Peace, are not accepted in support of a UK passport application unless otherwise stated on GOV.UK. If photocopies or certified copies are submitted, HM Passport Office will write to request the original document and your application will take longer to process.

There is one exception: if you are an Australian citizen (or hold any another nationality) you can submit a colour photocopy of every page of your non-British passport, rather than the passport itself. This is to allow you to continue to travel on your other passport while we process your application. Please note that you may be asked to produce the original document at a later point.

Using celebrant marriage certificates

Marriage certificates issued by a Marriage Celebrant are not acceptable as evidence of British nationality when applying for a UK passport.

Please see the ‘supporting document’ guidance for information about the documents that can be accepted as evidence of British nationality.

You can also get further help and advice for passports on GOV.UK, by completing the online enquiry form, or by phoning:

+44 (0)300 222 0000

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

Published 20 September 2016