Healthwatch is the new consumer champion for health and social care inEngland. It will exist in two distinct forms - Healthwatch England, at national level, and local Healthwatch, at local level.
Healthwatch England will be a national body representing the views of service users and the public. It will use these views to influence national policy and provide advice to Monitor, the NHS Commissioning Board, the Secretary of State and English local authorities, as well as providing leadership and support to local Healthwatch organisations.
Healthwatch England will be a statutory committee of CQC, launching on 1 October 2012, followed by local Healthwatch on 1 April 2013. The CQC is the independent regulator of all health and social care services in England. Their role is to ensure that care provided by hospitals, dentists, ambulances, care homes and services in people’s own homes and elsewhere meets government standards of quality and safety
**Anna Bradley said: **
“I am very excited about this opportunity to represent and amplify the voices of people who use the health and care system. I am clear that those who run, commission, and regulate services need to learn from the people who use those services.
“Healthwatch England will act as a champion for those who sometimes struggle to be heard. I am privileged to be determining the future shape of the organisation - and determined that it will make a genuine difference where it matters most. My immediate focus will be to identify strategic priorities for action, and then to ensure that these inform real change to the future of service delivery.”
Health Secretary Andrew Lansley said:
“I am delighted to announce the appointment of Anna Bradley as Chair of the new Healthwatch England. Healthwatch England will be a new, strong voice for patients at the heart of the NHS. It will lead Healthwatch locally in supporting the NHS to make “no decision about me, without me” real across the NHS.
“Anna brings with her a wealth of regulatory and consumer advocacy experience. In particular, her proven track record of promoting and defending the interests of consumers, and giving voice and regulatory strength to improve services will be crucial to the work she will lead to establish Healthwatch England and ensure its success as the independent voice of patients, service users, carers and the public.”
**Chair of Care Quality Commission, Jo Williams said: **
“I welcome the appointment of Anna Bradley to our board. Throughout her career Anna has been a champion for the consumer and I have no doubt that she will bring to the post the necessary rigour and independence. I look forward to working with her to build a truly independent Healthwatch network which will enhance our regulatory work and help us identify and act against poor care, in the interests of people who use services.”
Anna took up her post as Chair of Healthwatch England and Non-Executive Director of the Care Quality Commission on 16 July 2012.
Notes to editors
- For media enquiries only, please ring the Department of Health on 0207 210 5484.
- Anna is currently the Chair of the General Optical Council, a trustee at Addaction and is a non-executive director of Colchester Hospital University Foundation Trust. Anna will step down from these roles.
- This appointment is made in accordance with the Code of Practice for Ministerial Appointments to Public Bodies, issued by the Commissioner for Public Appointments. All appointments are made on merit and political activity played no part in the selection process. However, in accordance with the original Nolan recommendations, there is a requirement for appointees’ political activity (if any declared) to be made public.
- Anna has declared no political activity.
- Anna holds the following other public appointments: Chair General Optical Council
- Anna’s appointments will be for three years and she will receive £47,883** for **a time commitment of 2 to 3 days per week.
- Further information on the Care Quality Commission
- Further information and vacancies on the Department of Health’s public appointments