News story

2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games: PM visit

This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government

Prime Minister David Cameron visited the Arena, athletics track and Athletes' Village for the 2014 Glasgow Commonwealth Games.

placeholder

David Cameron visited Glasgow to see preparations for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and to meet some of the young athletes hoping to compete. The PM arrived at the Emirates Arena to meet Jonathan Shaw, General Manager, and David Grevemberg, Chief Executive of Glasgow 2014.

He then visited the athletics track, where he met athletes from Scotland’s netball and badminton teams. After that he walked to the Athletes’ Village to meet Calum Murray, City Legacy Developer, and Jason Bell, from the Commonwealth Games Organising Committee.

The PM also met with Gordon Matheson, leader of Glasgow City Council and Shona Robison MSP, Minister for Commonwealth Games and Sport.

The Prime Minister said:

This is an impressive venue; preparations seem to be going extremely well. There’s less than a year to go and all the key elements seem to be in place. I wanted to come today to demonstrate that we are all working together to deliver a successful and safe commonwealth games and pay tribute to Glasgow City Council and the Scottish government for all they are doing.

Later this year I will be bringing the whole UK government Cabinet to Scotland to hold a cabinet meeting in Scotland; that would be a good moment to take stock of the Games and anything else we can do to help the Scottish government and the authorities around the Commonwealth Games to deliver a real success.

David Grevemberg, Chief Executive of Glasgow 2014 said:

Tickets for next year’s Commonwealth Games go on sale next week, so it’s great the Prime Minister has chosen this time to visit Glasgow to see how preparations are going and to meet some of the young athletes who aspire to compete. Glasgow 2014 will be the next big celebration of sport in the UK and we look forward to welcoming athletes and visitors from across the UK and the Commonwealth to a world-class sporting festival in a great sporting city next year.

The Commonwealth Games 2014 are an important part of a decade-long celebration of British sport, from the Commonwealth Games in Manchester in 2002 to the Ryder Cup at Celtic Manor near Newport in 2010, London 2012 and the Ryder Cup later in 2014.

The UK government is working closely with the Scottish government and Glasgow City Council to deliver this world-class sporting event. The Scottish government is providing 80% of the public cost of the Games as well as leading on major infrastructure projects and creating a lasting legacy, while Glasgow City Council is contributing the other 20%, along with promoting tourism to the city.

Meanwhile, the UK government is helping to make the Games a success by:

  • providing security to keep athletes, visitors and spectators safe
  • making sure that more than 6,000 athletes and other Games family members have their visas at the right time
  • contributing valuable knowledge and experiences from managing London 2012
  • managing visits by foreign dignitaries
  • promoting Scotland and the UK as the place to do business, working with UKTI to deliver a business conference during the Games and helping to secure an economic legacy
  • showcasing everything that’s great about Scotland through the UK’s network of High Commissions across the Commonwealth - particularly during the Queen’s Baton Relay around the Commonwealth, which is due to start on 9 October 2013
Published 14 August 2013