The minister’s responsibilities include:
- a strong school system (including free schools, academies, multi-academy trusts, university technical colleges, studio schools, faith schools, independent schools, home education, supplementary schools)
- tackling school underperformance
- school improvement (including teaching school alliances, national and local leaders of education and school improvement funds)
- school governance
- school capital investment (including new school places, school maintenance, land and playing fields)
- tackling extremism in schools and colleges
- behaviour and attendance, exclusions and alternative provision
Current role holder: Lord Nash
Lord Nash was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System on 14 June 2017. Lord Nash served as Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Schools from January 2013 to June 2017.
Lord Nash worked in venture capital for 30 years, before deciding to work in education.
In 2006 he set up Future, a charity designed to support young people by working with other small charities and sponsoring academies, including Pimlico Academy and Millbank Primary Academy.
He was a non-executive board member at the Department for Education for over 2 years before being appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Schools.