Lord Theodore Agnew was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System on 28 September 2017 and lead non-executive board member at the Ministry of Justice in July 2015.
Lord Agnew previously served as a non-executive board member at the Department for Education, where he was chair of the department’s Academies Board from 2013 to 2015.
Outside of the department, Lord Agnew founded Somerton Capital LLP in 2007 and co-founded the WNS Group (a US listed company) in 1990.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System
The minister’s responsibilities include:
- a strong school system (including free schools, academies, multi-academy trusts, university technical colleges, studio schools, faith schools, independent schools, home education, supplementary schools)
- tackling school underperformance
- school improvement (including teaching school alliances, national and local leaders of education and school improvement funds)
- school governance
- school capital investment (including new school places, school maintenance, land and playing fields)
- tackling extremism in schools and colleges
- behaviour and attendance, exclusions and alternative provision
Previous roles in government
- 2015 to 2017
- 2015 to 2015
Non-executive board member
- 2010 to 2015