Lord Theodore Agnew was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System on 28 September 2017 and lead non-executive board member at the Ministry of Justice in July 2015.
Lord Agnew previously served as a non-executive board member at the Department for Education, where he was chair of the department’s Academies Board from 2013 to 2015.
Outside of the department, Lord Agnew founded Somerton Capital LLP in 2007 and co-founded the WNS Group (a US listed company) in 1990.
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for the School System
The minister’s responsibilities include:
- free schools, university technical colleges and studio schools
- academies and multi-academy trusts
- faith schools
- independent schools
- home education and supplementary schools
- intervention in underperforming schools
- school improvement (including teaching school alliances, national and local leaders of education and school improvement funds)
- school governance
- school capital investment (including new school places, school condition, land and playing fields)
- counter extremism and integration in schools, further education colleges and sixth-form colleges
Previous roles in government
- 2015 to 2017
- 2015 to 2015
Non-executive board member
- 2010 to 2015