The minister is responsible for:
- The Northern Powerhouse
- Mayors and devolution
- Local growth – policy and initiatives (eg enterprise zones, high streets, coastal communities)
- Place-based initiatives (eg Thames Estuary Growth Commission)
- Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) policy
- Inward investment and infrastructure (including High Speed 2)
- European Regional Development Fund, and UK Shared Prosperity Fund
- Resilience and Emergencies
- Community rights (including pubs)
- Minister for Secondary Legislation
Current role holder: Jake Berry MP
Jake was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Communities and Local Government on 14 June 2017.
Jake was Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Rt Hon. Greg Hands MP from May 2015 until 14 June 2017.
He became an MP for for Rossendale and Darwen in 2010.
Jake was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Rt Hon. Grant Shapps MP in 2010.