The minister’s responsibilities include:
- strategy for post-16 education (jointly with Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Apprenticeships and Skills)
- universities and higher education reform
- higher education student finance (including the Student Loans Company)
- widening participation in higher education
- quality of higher education and the Teaching Excellence Framework
- international education strategy including education exports international students and technology in education (Edtech)
- Opportunity Areas programme
Current role holder: Michelle Donelan MP
Michelle Donelan was appointed Minister of State for Universities at the Department of Education on 13 February 2020.
She was previously Government Whip (Lord Commissioner of HM Treasury) from 29 July 2019 to 13 February 2020. She was also an unpaid Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Education covering the maternity leave of Kemi Badenoch MP from 4 September 2019 to 13 February 2020.
(Photo source UK Parliament website. Used under Creative Commons).