Whips are MPs or Lords appointed by each party to help organise their party’s contribution to parliamentary business. They are responsible for making sure the maximum number of their party members vote, and vote the way their party wants.
Current role holder: Nusrat Ghani MP
Nusrat Ghani MP was appointed Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Department for Transport and Assistant Government Whip on 9 January 2018. She was elected Conservative MP for Wealden in 2015.
Nusrat was the first woman in her family to be formally educated. She attended state comprehensive school before studying at Birmingham City University (BA Government and Politics) and Leeds University (MA International Relations).
Nusrat was appointed Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Home Office in 2017. She also served as the Chair of the Prime Minister’s Apprenticeship Diversity Network.
Select Committee membership:
- Committee on Arms Export Controls (October 2017 to January 2018)
- Speaker’s Committee on the Electoral Commission (September 2017 to January 2018)
- Foreign Affairs Committee (September 2017 to January 2018)
- Armed Forces Bill Committee (October 2015 to November 2015)
- Home Affairs Committee (July 2015 to May 2017)
Career outside politics
Before beginning her career in politics, Nusrat was employed by the charities Age UK and Breakthrough Breast Cancer, and later for the BBC World Service.