UKAP gives advice about the transmission and management of bloodborne viruses among healthcare workers.
UKAP gives advice on guidance on healthcare workers infected with HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C. The panel also provides support for local incident management teams and maintains a monitoring register of HIV-infected healthcare workers who perform exposure prone procedures (EPPs).
Terms of reference
The panel’s terms of reference are:
- to establish, and update as necessary, criteria on which local advice on modifying working practices may be based
- to provide supplementary specialist occupational advice to physicians of healthcare workers infected with bloodborne viruses, occupational physicians and professional bodies
- to advise individual healthcare workers or their advocates how to obtain guidance on working practices
- to advise directors of public health on patient notification exercises, where these are indicated, of patients treated by healthcare workers infected with bloodborne viruses
- to keep under review the literature on occupational transmission of bloodborne viruses and revise guidelines as necessary
The CEO of PHE appoints members with specialist medical and scientific expertise, as well as lay members.
- Professor Jeremy Bagg (Dental expert)
- Dr Christopher Conlon (Infectious Diseases expert)
- Dr Julie Gordon (Emergency Medicine expert)
- Mr Chris Cox (Legal expert)
- Dr Kumara Dharmasena (Microbiology expert)
- Dr Mat Donati (Virology expert)
- Ms Kay Francis (Midwifery expert)
- Professor David Goldberg (Chair and consultant epidemiologist)
- Dr Ali Hashtroudi (Occupational Health expert)
- Dr David Hawkins (Deputy Chair and Genitourinary Medicine expert)
- Mr Nikolaos Karydis (Surgery expert)
- Dr George Kassianos (General Medical Practitioner expert)
- Dr Andrea Kelleher (Anaesthetist expert)
- Dr Patrick Kennedy (Clinical Hepatology expert)
- Ms Helen Kirk (Occupational Health Nursing expert)
- Mrs Joanna Lloyd (Lay member)
- Dr Vanessa MacGregor (Consultant in Communicable Disease Control expert)
- Dr Wendy Matthews (Emergency Medicine expert)
- Dr Alison Rimmer (Occupational Health expert)
- Mr Richard Smith (Obstetrics and Gynaecology expert)
UKAP publications published before 2014, and relevant guidelines on healthcare worker clearance, HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C, are available from the archived UKAP webpage, courtesy National Archive.
Enquiries and support
Advice from the UKAP secretariat
Use the UKAP enquiry form to ask about:
- restricting the practice of healthcare workers infected with bloodborne viruses
- conducting crossmatch, lookback and patient notification exercises after a healthcare worker infected with a bloodborne virus has carried out exposure prone procedures on patients
- categorising clinical procedures as exposure prone
- local incident management advice
Register EPP healthcare workers infected with HIV onto the UKAP-OHR
Use the temporary paper-basedto add a healthcare worker to the UKAP occupational health monitoring register.
For queries about the register: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0208 327 7553.
Dr Kirsty Foster
Medical Secretary, UKAP
Scientist and UKAP Administrator
Tel: 0208 327 6074
email@example.com if mailing from an nhs.net account