The Judicial Pension Board is responsible for helping the Lord Chancellor to manage and govern the judicial pension schemes.
The pension schemes are administered by Punter Southall but managed by the Lord Chancellor.
The board assists the Lord Chancellor with:
- ensuring the schemes comply with the regulations
- securing compliance with the requirements of the Pensions Regulator
- considering appeals and complaints, and making recommendations under the second stage of the dispute resolution procedure
It can also advise the Lord Chancellor on some of his discretionary powers under the regulations.
The board is made up of an independent chair, equal numbers of employer and member representatives, and 2 independent members.
The independent chair is appointed by the Lord Chancellor following consultation with the Lord Chief Justice of England and Wales, the Lord President in Scotland and the Lord Chief Justice of Northern Ireland.
Employer and member representatives are appointed by the chair, with the approval of the Lord Chancellor and the Heads of Jurisdiction for the judiciary.
Independent board members are selected through the public appointment process.
- Jill Youds
Independent board members
- Susan Andrews
- Ellen Kelleher
- His Honour Judge David John Cooke
- The Honourable Mr Justice Nicholas Green
- Employment Judge Elizabeth Heap
- His Honour Judge Geoffrey Miller QC
- Jason Latham, Deputy Director, Tribunals, HM Courts & Tribunals Service
- Jan Marshall, Deputy Director, Civil Law and Legal Division, Scottish Government
- Caroline Patterson, Deputy Director, Corporate Finance, Ministry of Justice
- Sarah Wallace, Deputy Director, Finance, HM Courts & Tribunals Service
Terms of reference
- Internal dispute resolution procedure
Lifetime allowance from 2016/17: important changes, January 2016 (PDF, 75.6KB, 2 pages)
Annual allowance from 2016/17: important changes, January 2016 (PDF, 109KB, 6 pages)
Important information on the scheme, June 2016 (PDF, 128KB, 10 pages)
Judicial pension scheme 2015 guide (PDF, 406KB, 21 pages)
- Judicial Pension Scheme accounts 2015 to 2016
Fee-Paid Judicial Pension Scheme guide (PDF, 1.16MB, 35 pages)
- Judicial Pension Scheme 2015 annual allowance and scheme pays guidance note (PDF, 665KB, 12 pages)
HMRC Annual Allowance calculator
Queries about the schemes
Queries about the board
Judicial Pension Scheme Advisory Board
The Judicial Pension Scheme Advisory Board is responsible for providing advice to the Lord Chancellor (at his request) on possible changes to the Judicial Pension Scheme 2015.
It has the same membership as the Judicial Pension Board.
The advisory board has met once, to agree its terms of reference.