A part of Strategic Command, Defence Digital has an important role within the Ministry of Defence (MOD) in the age of information warfare.
Led by the Chief Information Officer (CIO), Charlie Forte, the Defence Digital organisation is responsible for making sure that effective digital and information technology (D&IT) is put into the hands of the military and business front line. It is guided by the Digital Strategy for Defence.
Some of the areas within its remit include:
- leading on defensive cyber strategy, capability development and policy
- supplying IT to 200,000 users across defence
- supporting global military operations
- improving innovation and digital information exploitation across defence
- integrating strategy, planning and performance management
- supporting over 2,000 defence sites across UK and globally.
Defence Digital brought together and replaced a number of organisations, including Information Systems and Services (ISS) in 2019. The Defence Digital organisation has an annual budget of over £2 billion and a team of around 2,400 personnel including military, civil servants and contractors.
Working for Defence Digital
Defence Digital employs some of the world’s brightest people. We’re always on the lookout for talented, creative, dedicated and innovative individuals to join us.