Detail of outcome
We published Professor Harrington’s second independent review of the Work Capability Assessment and the government’s response to the second review on 24 November 2011.
Professor Harrington recommended:
- introducing checks on benefit decisions to ensure fairness and consistency
- working with disability groups to help develop guidance for Atos healthcare professionals and Jobcentre Plus Decision Makers
- improved support and communications for people who move onto Jobseeker’s Allowance to make sure they get the help they need
- regularly publishing data on performance and quality to improve the transparency of the face-to face assessment
The government welcomed Professor Harrington’s recommendations and endorsed his suggestions.
As part of his second independent review of the Work Capability Assessment Professor Harrington has launched a call for evidence. He is particularly interested in views and evidence about:
- the implementation of his Year 1 recommendations and the impact they are having
- what, if any, further work is required in future reviews
- the face-to-face assessment
Who this call for evidence is aimed at
This call for evidence is aimed at organisations and individuals who have information that is relevant to how the Work Capability Assessment is operating and what further changes, if any, are needed to improve the process.
The call for evidence can be provided in a range of alternative formats, including large print, Braille on request from the WCA Independent Review Team at the address above.
These alternative formats may take some time to prepare, so please let us know as soon as possible if they are required.
- BSL (British Sign Language) videos - Work Capability Assessment - Year 2 call for evidence (YouTube)