Detail of outcome
This consultation informed the ‘Draft Road Investment Strategy 2: government objectives’ policy paper.
Detail of feedback received
This consultation received 3,153 responses. 90% of responses were from members of the public and the remainder from organisations such as local authorities, local enterprise partnerships, professional bodies and advocacy groups.
In order to set investment in the Strategic Road Network (SRN) the government publishes a multi-year ‘Road investment strategy’ (RIS). The second RIS (RIS2) will cover the financial years 2020/21 to 2024/25.
As the first step in the process for setting RIS2, Highways England has published its Strategic Road Network initial report and supporting documents.
The SRN initial report sets out:
- Highways England’s assessment of the current state of the SRN
- its potential future needs
- their proposed priorities for RIS2
To inform its response to the initial report, the Department for Transport is first seeking views on:
- the proposals made by Highways England in the SRN initial report
- our analytical approach for developing RIS2 and whether it is sufficiently robust
- whether we have heard the full range of views that should be incorporated into the RIS2 programme, including about the shape of the SRN