In order to set investment in the Strategic Road Network (SRN) the government publishes a multi-year ‘Road investment strategy’ (RIS). The second RIS (RIS2) will cover the financial years 2020/21 to 2024/25.
As the first step in the process for setting RIS2, Highways England has published its Strategic Road Network initial report and supporting documents.
The SRN initial report sets out:
- Highways England’s assessment of the current state of the SRN
- its potential future needs
- their proposed priorities for RIS2
To inform its response to the initial report, the Department for Transport is first seeking views on:
- the proposals made by Highways England in the SRN initial report
- our analytical approach for developing RIS2 and whether it is sufficiently robust
- whether we have heard the full range of views that should be incorporated into the RIS2 programme, including about the shape of the SRN