Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
A summary of consultation responses and the government’s view on the way forward.
This consultation sets out a number of proposals to reform the planning system to increase the supply of new homes and increase local authority capacity to manage growth.
- a standard method for calculating local authorities’ housing need
- how neighbourhood planning groups can have greater certainty on the level of housing need to plan for
- a statement of common ground to improve how local authorities work together to meet housing and other needs across boundaries
- making the use of viability assessments simpler, quicker and more transparent
- increased planning application fees in those areas where local planning authorities are delivering the homes their communities need
The attached ‘Housing need consultation data table’ sets out the housing need for each local planning authority using our proposed method, how many homes every place in the country is currently planning for, and, where available, how many homes they believe they need.
Alongside this consultation, the attached ‘Comprehensive registration programme: priority areas for land registration’ document lists those areas where Her Majesty’s Land Registry intends to prioritise the registration of ownership of all publicly held land.