Open consultation

New ways to report road accidents to the police


Proposal to allow additional ways to report road traffic accidents to the police.

This consultation closes at

Consultation description

At the moment if you need to report a road traffic accident you must do so in person at a police station or to a police constable.

This proposals in this consultation would allow police forces to offer drivers the option of submitting accident reports by other methods.

The proposals would require changes to Section 170 of the Road Traffic Act 1988.


Reporting road accidents to the police

This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology. Request an accessible format.

If you use assistive technology (such as a screen reader) and need a version of this document in a more accessible format, please email Please tell us what format you need. It will help us if you say what assistive technology you use.

Ways to respond


Complete a response form and either

Email to:

Write to:

Road safety statistics – reporting road traffic accidents consultation
Department for Transport
2/13 Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road

Published 30 January 2018