We are analysing your feedback
Visit this page again soon to download the outcome to this public feedback.
In the NDA’s 2016 Strategy we made a commitment to develop a single radioactive waste strategy for the NDA Group.
We are now seeking views on this single radioactive waste strategy that will apply to all radioactive waste generated within the NDA Group, including materials that may become waste at some point in the future.
The radioactive waste strategy provides:
- a framework for making decisions flexibly, to ensure safe, environmentally acceptable and cost-effective solutions that reflect the nature of the radioactive waste concerned
- a consolidated position and greater clarity of our strategic needs in this area
- promotes cross-category waste management opportunities
- support a risk-based approach to waste management
- an integrated programme for a suitable and timely waste management infrastructure to support the NDA mission
The development of the NDA’s Radioactive Waste Strategy and the integrated approach to waste management it supports is an important input into the government’s Industrial Strategy - Nuclear Sector Deal.
This deal calls for a National Decommissioning and Waste Management Pipeline to give a truly comprehensive view of all major decommissioning and waste management activity across the country. This should promote economic growth through enhanced awareness in the supply chain of opportunities, provide greater resilience in the UK infrastructure and opportunities for inward investment and growth.
The strategy articulates our preferences against each of the waste management lifecycle stages:
- planning and preparation
- treatment and packaging