Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
This document sets out:
- the original proposals outlined in ‘Improving the costing of NHS services’
- the engagement process and the feedback received
- Monitor’s response to the feedback
- the next steps for Monitor’s costing proposals
Detail of feedback received
Monitor’s costing team has collated, summarised and reviewed all the comments received throughout the engagement process.
Monitor is very grateful for the positive and energetic feedback on the proposals, and for all the constructive comments and suggestions received.
The proposals highlight the need for the NHS to get better at collecting accurate cost, activity and outcome data at an individual patient level.
For some NHS providers, the inability to do this well makes it difficult to see exactly where they may be wasting resources that could be better spent.
Subject to necessary funding and resources the document proposes that:
- all NHS care providers adopt the same improved, transparent and intuitive costing method
- a single national costing method is introduced to replace the 3 existing cost collections
The proposals will help design a better and more effective payment system, allowing NHS providers and commissioners make better decisions for patients.
Monitor is keen to hear from NHS providers, commissioners and others involved or interested the costing of NHS services.
Webinar on costing
Monitor hosted a free webinar on the future direction of travel for costing NHS services. It also discussed early findings from the PLICS 2013/14 data collection. Watch again