Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The consultation outcome states we will make a statutory instrument, the Non-Road Mobile Machinery (Type-Approval and Emission of Gaseous and Particulate Pollutants) Regulations 2018. This regulation will introduce offences and penalties for engine manufacturers who:
- do not comply with EU Regulation 2016/1628 governing the type approval of engines for their emissions
- use defeat strategies in their engines
The outcome was released on 28 June 2018.
The Department for Transport is seeking feedback on proposals to implement new, more stringent requirements on gaseous and particulate emissions from new non-road mobile machinery. Non-road machinery includes:
- construction machinery, such as diggers
- agricultural machinery, such as combine harvesters
- hand-held equipment like chainsaws and lawn mowers
The proposed regulations would implement civil and criminal penalties for non-compliance.
The new emissions requirements are known as “Stage V” and will take effect for new machinery from January 2019.