Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
The Secretary of State for Transport, in his role as the competent authority in Great Britain (GB), the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland (HSENI) and the Department of Justice in NI (DOJNI), as the competent authorities in NI, may grant certain exemptions from the requirements and prohibitions relating to the transport of dangerous goods. Where exemptions are granted, there is a legal obligation to publish them in the respective GB and NI versions of the Carriage of Dangerous Goods: Approved Derogations and Transitional Provisions (AD&TP). This document needs updating to remove obsolete derogations and recognise new ones.
In addition, there are proposed changes to the transitional provisions regarding the inspection of certain tanks and mobile explosive manufacturing units (MEMUs) which also require amendments to the AD&TP.
The purpose of this consultation paper is to seek views on:
- the description we are proposing to include in the AD&TP to explain the meaning and purpose of those particular derogations
- the accompanying explanation for the updated transitional provisions covering the inspection of certain tanks
- the accompanying explanation for the new transitional provisions covering the inspection of MEMUs
- the proposal to consolidate the separate NI and GB versions of the AD&TP into one single document covering the United Kingdom (UK) and
- other minor changes that have been made