Building materials and components: monthly statistics - seasonal data adjustment
- Department for Business, Innovation & Skills
- Part of:
- Building materials and components: monthly statistics
- First published:
- 15 August 2014
- Last updated:
- 20 November 2014, see all updates
This was published under the 2010 to 2015 Conservative and Liberal Democrat coalition government
This consultation has concluded
Download the full outcome
Detail of outcome
We plan to publish the first set of seasonally adjusted data series for total deliveries of bricks, blocks and sand and gravel in the 1 April 2015 edition of ‘Monthly statistics of building materials and components’. We plan to include the ready-mixed concrete data in the 3 June 2015 edition. All seasonally adjusted data series will start at 1983.
Detail of feedback received
We received 9 responses, of which:
- 3 were from a business representative organisation/trade body
- 1 from central government
- 1 from a media organisation
- 4 respondents did not provide details of their organisation
Respondents supported our proprosals for:
- data up to 12 months (4 quarters) previous to any new data point to be eligible for revision
- historical seasonally adjusted data becoming eligible for revision once a year
- a review of the seasonal adjustment methodology for the series once a year
This consultation ran from
We’re consulting users of 'Building material statistics' on how we should implement seasonally adjusted data for the main deliveries data.
We’re consulting users of the ‘Monthly statistics of building materials and components’ data on deliveries of bricks, blocks, ready-mixed concrete and sand and gravel. It gives users an opportunity to help say how seasonal adjustment should be implemented, including:
- presentation of statistics
- revision policies
Seasonal adjustment is widely used in official statistics. It aids data interpretation by removing effects associated with the time of the year or arrangement of the calendar from the data series.
Published: 15 August 2014
Updated: 20 November 2014
- Government response published.
- First published.