Use of Lean in Highways England
Find out how Highways England uses Lean principles to eliminate inefficiency.
Lean management is a systematic method for the elimination of inefficiency. Highways England is committed to making efficiency savings using Lean principles and to encourage its supply chain to do the same. Our ambition is that by 2020 we will save £250 million through our adoption of Lean thinking and techniques. This will contribute towards the government’s stated Roads Investment Strategy efficiency target of around £1.2 billion.
Our commitment to Lean underpins all our work towards achieving our business aims. In recognition of this we have a Lean Division to:
- challenge current practices
- improve performance
- refine processes
- become more efficient
- provide support and help to our staff and suppliers so they can do the same
- Corporate report
Published: 5 January 2016
Updated: 22 March 2017
- Collaborative planning guidance added.
- 2015-2020 strategy document added
- Updated details of Highways England's ambitions in implementing Lean.
- First published.