UK nationwide standard for exchanging bus schedules and related data.
TransXChange is the UK nationwide standard for exchanging bus schedules and related data. It is used for:
- the electronic registration of bus routes
- the Traffic Area Network
- the exchange of bus routes with other computer systems such as journey planners and vehicle real-time tracking systems
TransXChange is part of a family of coherent transport related XML standards that follow GovTalk guidelines.
The TransXChange XML schemas provided are:
- a registration schema for registering a bus timetable with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency, including mandatory elements for statutory registration
- a general schema for exchanging bus timetable and ancillary data between all types of systems
The TransXChange schemas are modularised into functional packages and share a common set of base modules with National Public Transport Access Node system.
The schemas currently in use are listed below.
A publisher tool for creating TransXChange compliant documents (ZIP, 160MB) is also supplied.
The type of information that TransXChange can be used to exchange
TransXChange schemas can be used to exchange:
- bus schedules including stops, routes, departures times, departure frequencies, operational notes and maps
- the days on which the services run, including public holidays availability
- term times and holidays of schools and other bus serviced organisations
- details of the statutory registration including short notice registrations
- bus operators information
- fare stages, positioning runs, garages, layovers, duty crews and on-board ticketing systems
- information about accessibility of stops and services for wheelchair and other users
All TransXChange enquiries
The designated owner of the TransXChange schema for GovTalk is at:
Digital & Open Data team
Department for Transport
2/27 Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London, SW1P 4DR