The UK has a thriving space sector with over 230 companies employing up to 30,000 people. The sector generates an annual turnover of over £11 billion and has grown by almost 10% over the last decade. The UK Space Innovation and Growth Strategy set a target of growing the UK space sector to £40 billion per annum by 2030.
The UK Space Agency leads the UK’s civil space programme and promoting sustainable economic growth.
UK space industry has been successful with:
- FTSE-100 operators
- high-growth service-sector start-ups
- integration businesses
The UK is acknowledged as a leader in space science and innovation, particularly with telecommunications and small satellites/satellite propulsion.
How DIT can help
The Department for International Trade (DIT) helps the UK space sector do more business internationally.
We provide expert international trade advice and practical support to UK-based companies who want to grow their business overseas. Through a range of unique services, we can help businesses to trade successfully in foreign markets and become familiar with overseas business practices.
DIT helps UK companies:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- overcome difficulties getting in to markets
- develop supply chain opportunities
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We do this by:
- promoting industry overseas through the Prime Minister’s Trade Envoys and our Embassies and High Commissions
- working with the Space Growth Partnership, which is made up of representatives from Government and industry
- working with the UK Space Agency to identify export opportunities and support businesses
- developing relationships with international space companies, OEMs and Tier 1 suppliers
Find out about DIT services for exporters.
Register your interest to attend DIT space events, including missions and webinars.
- network with potential overseas customers
- demonstrate technologies and products to an international audience
- meet face to face with DIT advisers
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find export opportunities.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
UK Export Finance (UKEF) can provide extra capital to finance large projects and help grow business.
Watch our videos on the help UKEF can give on trade finance and managing payment risk.
UK Export Finance: Pointing your business in the right direction
Find space sector trade associations on the Trade Association Forum