Automotive sector: export help
Department for International Trade (DIT) can help UK companies provide products and services for export in the automotive sector.
The UK has a strong and growing automotive sector. It covers research and development and the design and manufacture of:
- commercial vehicles
- other components
The UK has the most productive automotive labour market in the European Union (EU). It is the third biggest car manufacturer in the EU.
Automotive is supported and delivered by both Government and industry through the Automotive Council.
How DIT can help:
We help UK companies:
- increase their presence in overseas markets
- overcome difficulties getting in to markets
- develop supply chain opportunities
- partner internationally in technology innovation
We do this by giving impartial advice and guidance from experts on:
- financial stability, incentives and the potential to export
- intellectual property and how to protect it
- capacity to export in terms of the resources required
- costs associated with exporting
- marketing to an international audience
- route to market
We have a global network of more than 100 offices with an understanding of automotive sector and the support offered by the UK government
We’d like to hear from companies in the automotive sector wanting to grow their business overseas. Sign up to meet with a trade adviser.
Find out about DIT services for exporters.
Register your interest to attend DIT automotive events, including missions and webinars.
- network with potential overseas customers
- demonstrate technologies and products to an international audience
- meet face to face with DIT advisers
DIT provides free international export sales leads from its worldwide network. Find export opportunities.
There are plenty of opportunities in the UK automotive sector, particularly meeting supply chain needs for original manufacturers and in the development of Ultra Low Emission Vehicles (ULEVs).
There is an estimated £3 billion worth of annual components business that companies would like to source in the UK.
You may need some form of credit guarantee or insurance to protect you against non-payment or other financial issues in certain markets.
UK Export Finance (UKEF) can provide extra capital to finance large projects and help grow businesses.
Watch our videos on the help UKEF can give on trade finance and managing payment risk.
Consult with a UKEF export finance adviser to find out about trade finance and insurance support.
Find automotive sector trade associations on the Trade Association Forum.
Invest in UK automotive
The UK is a global centre of excellence for the automotive business. See the investment opportunities guide for the automotive sector.
- Promotional material
- Policy paper