Get help with savings if you’re on a low income (Help to Save)


You can open a Help to Save account if you’re either:

  • entitled to Working Tax Credit and receiving Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit payments
  • claiming Universal Credit and your household income in your last monthly assessment period was £542.88 or more

Payments from Universal Credit do not count as part of your household income.

You also need to be living in the UK. If you live overseas, you can apply for an account if you’re either a:

  • Crown servant or their spouse or civil partner
  • member of the British armed forces or their spouse or civil partner

If you stop claiming benefits

You can keep using your Help to Save account.