Apply for an appliance exemption for use in smoke control areas

You must apply for an exemption if you make, import or distribute appliances that will be used to burn unauthorised fuel in smoke control areas.

An ‘appliance exemption’ shows that fuel-burning appliances, for example stoves, ovens, boilers, emit smoke below the acceptable limits.

You do not need to get an exemption if the appliances will only be used to burn authorised fuels.

Start now

Before you start

You must be able to prove that your appliance meets the requirements and has been tested using acceptable methods at an accredited test centre.

Read the full guidance on appliance exemption to find out which documents you must provide, how the application process works, and which testing methods and emission limits are acceptable.

The application fee for the assessment is:

  • £1,610 (excluding VAT) for the first appliance in a range
  • £470 (excluding VAT) for each additional appliance in a range

You’ll also have to arrange and pay for any testing that’s required.

Exempt appliances are added to the exempt appliances list - this also shows which unauthorised fuels they’re allowed to burn.


You can contact HETAS if you have any technical questions about your application, for example testing methods.

Product Approvals
Severn House
Unit 5, Newtown Trading Estate
Green Lane
GL20 8HD

Contact Defra if you have any general questions about your application.

Telephone: 03459 33 55 77
Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm
Find out about call charges

Defra Customer Contact Unit
Seacole Building
2 Marsham Street