Some parts of the country are smoke control areas, where you can only use certain types of fuel.

Find out if you live in a smoke control area

Contact your local council to see if you live in a smoke control area. The environmental services department will be able to help you.

What you can burn in smoke control areas

In a smoke control area you can only burn:

Oil and kindling

You can use oil or other liquid fuels in specially designed fireplaces. Kindling can sometimes also be used - but ask your council first as there are different rules in different areas.

Barbecues and chimineas

You’re allowed barbecues and chimineas, but if your barbecue lets smoke out through a chimney of a building - like a summerhouse - it’s only allowed if it uses gas or electricity.

Exempt appliances that can burn banned fuels

Some boilers, cookers and stoves are allowed to burn banned fuels, which include:

  • wood
  • coal
  • wood chips and pellets

There’s a list of exempt appliances on the Defra website.

You’re allowed garden bonfires in smoke control areas but you need to follow the rules on bonfires.

Help us improve GOV.UK

Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.