A DNA test can be used to either:
- prove that 2 people definitely are not related
- show the probability that 2 people are related
You’ll need to give either a blood or saliva sample.
What you can use a DNA test for
DNA tests can be used to:
- solve a dispute about child maintenance
- apply for contact with a child
- apply for a visa so that a child can settle with you in the UK
- find out who inherits an estate when someone has died
Booking a test
You can arrange a DNA test yourself.
Depending on what you’re collecting DNA evidence for, you’ll need to check you’re going to the correct laboratory.