Get a clamped or impounded vehicle released

Find out how much you have to pay and where you have to collect your vehicle from.

Start now

Before you start

Your vehicle may have been clamped or removed if it was untaxed and:

  • on a public road, even if you had a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)
  • not on a public road but you didn’t have a SORN

Vehicles can be clamped or instantly impounded if untaxed.

Get your vehicle unclamped

Call the number on the back of the INF32 leaflet that was left on your vehicle.

Get your vehicle back

If your vehicle has been removed you must:

  • find out where your vehicle is
  • pay a release fee
  • show confirmation or a receipt to prove you’ve paid your vehicle tax

You should contact your local police station by calling 101 and asking for your local police, or call NSL to find out where it’s been taken.

0343 224 1999
Find out about call charges

You can pay a ‘surety’ (deposit) if you don’t tax the vehicle before you get it released. It costs £160 for cars or motorcycles, and up to £700 for other vehicles.

How to pay

You can pay online, over the phone or in person at the car pound. You’ll pay less if you get your vehicle released within 24 hours of it being clamped or removed.

Your vehicle may be disposed of or sold if you don’t pay to get it released.

Wheel clamping for other reasons

Wheel clamps may be used by bailiffs if you have debts to your local council or have unpaid penalty charge notices (except in Northern Ireland).

In this case, contact your local council for more information.