You can apply for a General Visitor visa if:
- you want to visit the UK for leisure, eg as a tourist on holiday
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- you’re visiting friends or family who aren’t permanent residents in the UK
- you’re donating an organ to a relative or friend
How long it will take
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
Check the guide processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in the country you’re applying from.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for up to 6 months with a General Visitor visa.
You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period. You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.
It costs £83 to apply.
Long-term visit visa fees are:
- 1 year - £300
- 2 years - £300
- 5 years - £544
- 10 years - £737
What you can and can’t do
You can study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit.
- take paid or unpaid work
- live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership
- get private medical treatment
- get public funds