Apply for a River Thames accommodation licence

Get a licence to build, change or retain a structure on or in the River Thames.

Apply for this licence

Start now

You need a River Thames accommodation licence to build, change or keep any structure:

  • on, in or over the river, for example a jetty, boom, pontoon or piling
  • that cuts into the river bank, such as a dock or slipway

It is valid until you move or change the structure.

You must display the accommodation licence plate on the structure.

There is an annual fee for the licence, which runs from 29 September each year.

Licences cannot be transferred. You must get a licence if you buy or live in a property with a structure.

Before you build a new structure or change an existing structure, contact the Environment Agency to discuss your plans.

Environment Agency
Telephone: 03708 506 506
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
Find out about call charges