You can apply for a Family Visitor visa if:
- you’re visiting a family member in the UK
- you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
How long it will take
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.
You can apply for a visa up to 3 months before your date of travel to the UK.
You can check the visa processing times to find out how long getting a visa might take in your country.
How long you can stay
You can stay in the UK for 6 months on a Family Visitor visa.
You can apply to extend your visa up to 6 months if it’s for less than 6 months.
Long-term visit visa
You can also apply for a long-term visit visa if you can prove you need to make repeat visits over a longer period.
You can stay for a maximum of 6 months on each visit and your visa can last for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years.
It costs £85 to apply.
Long-term visit visa fees are:
- 1 year - £324
- 2 years - £324
- 5 years - £588
- 10 years - £737
What you can and can’t do
You can study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit.
- work or carry out any business
- study for longer than 30 days
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or a civil partnership
- come to the UK specifically for private medical treatment
- change (‘switch’) to another visa
- bring family members (‘dependants’) with you on your application - they must apply separately
- get public funds
You can’t switch to this type of visa from another visa.