EU Settlement Scheme family permit: join a British citizen

You can apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit to come to the UK before 29 March 2022 if you’ve lived in an EU or EEA country or Switzerland with an eligible family member who’s a British citizen.

The EEA includes the EU countries and also Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway.

You must have lived with them in that country before 1 January 2021, and be:

  • their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner
  • under 21 years old, and are their child or grandchild
  • 21 years or older, and are their dependent child or grandchild
  • their dependent parent or grandparent
  • another dependent relative

This includes family members who were adopted under an adoption order that’s recognised in UK law.

The country that you lived in together must have been your main residence. Your British family member must also have been working (including on a posting with HM Armed Forces), studying or self-sufficient in the country while there.

The relationship with your family member must have existed before 1 February 2020 for you to be eligible to apply, unless you have reasonable grounds for not returning to the UK before 1 January 2021.

Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • your valid passport (or ID card if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen)
  • your British family member’s valid passport
  • evidence of your relationship to your British family member, such as a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or birth certificate

Both you and your British family member must provide documents proving that you lived in an EU or EEA country (or Switzerland) as your main residence. The documents must show:

  • that you’ve lived together in that country
  • your addresses
  • time spent living at each address
  • any proof of renting or buying a home

You must also provide proof that your British family member was working, self-employed, self-sufficient or studying in the country where you’ve lived together.

Examples of proof include employer’s letters, wage slips, contracts, bank statements, proof of tax registration, or proof of enrolment and attendance for study.

If you’re a dependent child, grandchild, parent or grandparent or relative

You’ll also need to provide proof of your dependency if you’re:

  • a dependent child or grandchild of your British family member, or their spouse or civil partner, and you’re over 21
  • a dependent parent or grandparent of your British family member, or their spouse or civil partner, and they are under 18
  • another relative and you are dependent on your British family member, or their spouse or civil partner

Apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit

You must apply online for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit.

You must be outside the UK to apply.

There’s no deadline for applications.