EEA family permit

You can apply for an EEA family permit to come to the UK if both the following apply:

  • you’re from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • you’re a ‘close’ or ‘extended’ family member of an EEA or Swiss national (excluding UK nationals)

Apply for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit instead if you’re a close family member of an EEA or Swiss national and they have ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme.


The EEA citizen you’re joining must either:

  • be in the UK already
  • be travelling with you to the UK within 6 months of the date of your application

If they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months they must either:

  • be a ‘qualified person’ (working, looking for work, self-employed, studying or self-sufficient)
  • have a permanent residence document - sometimes called a ‘document certifying permanent residence’

If your family member is not a ‘qualified person’ and does not have a permanent residence document, you may be eligible for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit instead.

Qualifying as a ‘close’ family member

You must be the EEA citizen’s spouse or civil partner, or related to them (or to their spouse or civil partner) as their:

  • child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
  • dependent parent or grandparent

Family members who are adopted under an adoption order that is recognised in UK law are regarded the same as natural family. Read the guidance on adoption and settlement.

Qualifying as an ‘extended’ family member or unmarried partner

You can apply as an ‘extended’ family member’, for example a brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, nephew or niece.

You must be able to show that you’re dependent on the EEA citizen or are a member of their household, or have a serious health condition and rely on them to care for you.

You can also apply as an unmarried partner if you can show that you’re in a lasting relationship with the EEA national.

Extended family members and unmarried partners are not guaranteed to get a permit. Your individual circumstances will be considered when you apply.


You can apply as the family member of an EEA national student if you’re either the student’s:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • dependent child (or the dependent child of their spouse or civil partner)

For students, children of all ages must be dependent on the EEA citizen.

You must apply as an extended family member if you’re otherwise related to an EEA national student and want a family permit.

Surinder Singh and other ‘rights of residence’

There are more eligibility requirements if you’re making a:

Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • a valid passport
  • evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member, for example a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate or proof that you’ve lived together for 2 years if unmarried
  • your family member’s valid passport or national identity card (or a certified copy if you cannot provide the original)
  • proof of your dependency if you’re dependent on your EEA family member

If your EEA family member has been in the UK for more than 3 months, you must show that they have a permanent residence document or are one of the following:

  • working, for example an employment contract, wage slips or a letter from an employer
  • self-employed (for example contracts, invoices or audited accounts with bank statements) and paying tax and National Insurance
  • studying, for example a letter from the school, college or university
  • financially independent, for example bank statements

Your family member must have full health insurance (comprehensive sickness insurance) if they’re studying or financially independent.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Apply for an EEA family permit

You must apply online for an EEA family permit.

You must be outside the UK to apply.

North Korea

You cannot apply online if you’re North Korean and living in North Korea - download the form and send it to your local visa application centre.

You can apply online if you’re North Korean but living outside North Korea.