Apply for an EEA family permit from outside the UK

Documents you must provide

You must provide:

  • a valid passport
  • evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member, for example a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate, birth certificate or proof that you’ve lived together for 2 years if unmarried
  • your family member’s valid passport or national identity card (or a certified copy if you cannot provide the original)
  • proof of your dependency if you’re dependent on your EEA family member

EEA family members

You must show that your EEA family member has a permanent right of residence or is one of the following if they’ve been in the UK for more than 3 months:

  • working, for example an employment contract, wage slips or a letter from an employer
  • self-employed (for example contracts, invoices or audited accounts with bank statements) and paying tax and National Insurance
  • studying, for example a letter from the school, college or university
  • financially independent, for example bank statements

Your family member must have full health insurance (comprehensive sickness insurance) if they’re studying or financially independent.

The guide to supporting documents has more examples of documents you can show.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Surinder Singh and other ‘rights of residence’

You must provide more documents if you’re making a: